– Mussels in a Spicy Tomato Sauce –
I will be honest with you, when it comes to shellfish, it always seems like most people don´t even think of mussels. This is a crying shame, because mussels are one of the healthiest and tastiest shellfish out there. Everyone that has consumed mussels or have heard of them, usually associate them with steamed mussels, which is a fantastic dish! but today we´re going to take things up a notch. This recipe for Mussels in a Spicy Tomato Sauce really takes this shellfish to another level. The combination of ingredients in this dish brings out the perfect balance in flavor and texture, and it´s a great starter or appetizer to any meal, heck you can even serve it as a main course next to some roasted potatoes!
Fresh Mussels, The Secret to a Great Mussels Dish
The secret to this recipe is to buy FRESH mussels, I say fresh in capital letters because you do not want to use frozen or pre-cooked mussels in this dish. You know, life is short, and we´re always trying to bring more excitement to it, this dish will definitely bring a spark to your dinner table, just make sure your mussels are fresh!! Watch the video below on how to easily make these Mussels in a Spicy Tomato Sauce or check out the recipe card below, which you can print 🙂 . Salud!
Watch the Video Below on How to Make Mussels in a Spicy Tomato Sauce
- -2 cloves of garlic
- -1/2 onion
- -1 small dried cayenne pepper
- -1 1/2 cups tomato puree
- -1/4 cup white wine
- -1 bay leaf
- -12 mussels
- sea salt
- black pepper
- fresh parsley
- To make the spicy tomato sauce finely mince 2 cloves of garlic, finely mince 1 small dried cayenne pepper and finely dice 1/2 of an onion, then heat a frying pan with a medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin Spanish olive oil, once the oil get´s hot add the minced garlic and minced cayenne pepper, mix with the oil and immediately add the diced onions, cook for about 3 minutes, then add 1 1/2 cups of tomato puree, season with sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, a pinch of white sugar and 1 bay leaf, mix everything together, after about 5 minutes add a 1/4 cup of white wine, mix it all together and lower the fire to a LOW heat
- Grab about 1 pound of fresh mussels, clean them thoroughly, start by taking out the beard and then rinsing them in fresh cold water and scrubing them well until completely cleaned
- Turn the heat on the tomato sauce back to a MEDIUM heat and add the mussels to the pan, cover with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes
- Remove the lid and transfer everything to a plate (discard any mussels that did not open), garnish the dish with fresh parsley
- If you need any of the above ingredients to make this recipe, you can purchase them through this Amazon Affiliate Link Shop for Ingredients and get them delivered right to your door!