– Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe –
Mac and Cheese, so many of us grew up eating this stuff, it´s like a magical dish that just brings instant comfort. I used to eat mac and cheese all the time over at my friends house, his mom would buy the Kraft mac and cheese, done in a flash and ever so good. All that was great when I was younger, but as you start getting older-ish, you start watching more and more what you eat. So I came up with a super Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe. This is still comfort food in every sense of the word, but without the guilt, does it get any better than that?
Just Cause it´s Healthy Doesn´t Mean it´s not Tasty!
When most people hear the word healthy in a recipe, they automatically assume the dish will be dull & boring and ultimately lack in flavor. Let me tell you, this Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe is loaded with so much flavor and it still has a super creamy texture. This will become your favorite Mac and Cheese ever!! I used a low-fat queso Manchego in this recipe, but you can always use your favorite low-fat cheese to replace it. Watch the video below on how to make this Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe or check out the recipe card below, which you can print 🙂 .
Watch the Video Below on How to Make this Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe
- -1 cup whole wheat elbow maccaroni
- -2 tbsp extra virgin Spanish olive oil
- -2 cloves of garlic
- -1/2 onion
- -1 tbsp flour
- -1/2 cup low fat organic milk
- -1 cup low-fat shredded queso manchego
- -1/2 cup greek yogurt
- -1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- -1/2 tsp dried thyme
- sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- cherry tomatoes
- fresh thyme
- Finely Mince 2 cloves of garlic and finely dice 1/2 of an onion
- Fill a small sauce pan half way with water, season with sea salt and a splash of extra virgin Spanish olive oil and heat with a HIGH heat
- Heat a non-stick frying pan with a medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin Spanish olive oil, once the oil get´s hot add the diced onions and minced garlic to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes, then add 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour and mix until well mixed, then add 1/2 cup of low-fat organic milk and continue to mix
- As the milk is heating up your water should be boiling, add 1 cup of whole wheat elbow maccaroni and cook to al-dente under the packs instructions (mine was 10 minutes)
- Once the milk to comes to a light boil shred in about 1 cup of low-fat queso Manchego (or your favorite low-fat cheese) mix everything together until the cheese is melted, then turn off the heat
- After leaving the sauce to rest for 3-4 minutes, add 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika, season with sea salt and a generous portion of freshly cracked black pepper, mix everything together until well mixed, then add the cooked pasta into the sauce and mix it all together
- Transfer the mac and cheese into 2 seperate shallow bowls and garnish each one with a cherry tomato and some fresh thyme
- If you need any of the above ingredients to make this recipe, you can purchase them through this Amazon Affiliate Link Shop for Ingredients and get them delivered right to your door!