– Spanish Almond Nougat – Turron de Alicante Recipe –
When the holidays arrive, every country has their traditions, specially when it comes to food. In Spain there is one thing that almost every single household will have during this time of the year, Spanish Almond Nougat – Turron de Alicante. This hard candy like almond nougat is made with just 4 ingredients, yet it has an amazing flavor and a richness I can´t describe. Now, the most famous Spanish almond nougat comes from the town of Jijona in the province of Alicante. They produce the majority of the almond nougat Spaniards eat, as well as most of the almond nougat that get´s exported around the world. For me, I have always been addicted to this stuff, and with good reason why, it taste incredible! and it reminds me of Christmas 🙂 .
Nougat is Easier to Make Than you Think
I decided to start making my own homemade almond nougat, and the result has been more than welcome by all my family and friends. A bar of almond nougat of this quality will run you at least 18€ ($22) here in Spain. It cost me less than 4€ to make. Most people are afraid to make nougat, because it´s more like a science than cooking, but I will show you step by step how to make this perfect everytime (call this recipe fool-proof if you will). Watch the video below on how to easily make this Spanish Almond Nougat – Turron de Alicante or you can check out the recipe card below. Salud!
Watch the Video Below on How to Make Spanish Almond Nougat – Turron de Alicante
- -1 1/2 cups blanched almonds
- -1/2 cup honey
- -1/2 cup sugar
- -1 egg white
- -extra virgin Spanish olive oil
- Pre-heat oven with the bake/broil option to 210C (410F)
- Add 1 1/2 cups of blanched almonds to a baking tray lined with foil paper, move the almonds around so they are all in a single layer, then add to the hot oven between 11-12 minutes, remove from the oven and transfer to a bowl
- Reserve 1 egg white in a bowl and set aside at room temperature
- Heat a large frying pan with a LOW heat and add 1/2 cup of honey, cook for 15 minutes without stirring, then add 1/2 cup of white sugar and mix with the honey, cook for another 15 minutes while continuing to gently mix without stopping
- Once you hit the 30 minute mark of cooking the honey and sugar, add the egg whites to an electric mixer and whisk at medium power until soft peeks form (continue to cook and mix the honey sauce on LOW heat while doing this), once soft peeks form start slowly adding the hot caramel sauce in spoonfuls into the mixer until all the sauce in the pan is in the mixer, continue to whisk for another 3 minutes
- Add the toasted almonds into the bowl with the nougat and mix with a spatula until everything is well mixed
- Transfer the almond nougat into a bread pan that is 2 x 6 or 3 x 8 inches, make sure it´s lined with parchment paper
- You have two options here, you can leave your almond nougat to sit overnight to harden up or add it to a pre-heated oven with the BAKE only option at 70 C (165 F) for 2 hours, then let it rest for 1-2 hours and it should be ready to go
- If you need any of the above ingredients to make this recipe, you can purchase them through this Amazon Affiliate Link Shop for Ingredients and get them delivered right to your door!