– Poached Pears in Red Wine –
I love desserts that are easy to make and can be whipped up in flash, yet pack a big flavor. I will be honest with you, when it comes to desserts, I don´t like them to sweet, but that is just my personal taste. This dessert of Poached Pears in Red Wine is a classic recipe, and I love it because it has so much flavor and it´s not to sweet. This is the kind of dessert that is a winner at anytime of the year, because you can serve these poached pears warm, at room temperature or even cold! and my kids love them (remember the alcohol burns away while cooking the wine 🙂 ). I served these Poached Pears in Red Wine just the other day to some friends after dinner and they absolutely loved them.
My Secret to Perfectly Poaching Pears
The secret to this recipe is to use firm pears, that way they keep their shape while they are being poached in the wine. I bought my pairs a couple of days before making this recipe and stored them in the fridge, that way they wouldn´t ripen as fast. Watch the video below on how to make these Poached Pears in Red Wine or check out the recipe card below, which you can print. Salud!
Watch the Video Below on How to Make Poached Pears in Red Wine
- - 4 firm pears
- - 1 bottle red wine
- - 1/2 cup sugar
- - 1 cinnamon stick
- - lemon peels
- Peel 4 firm pears, leaving the stem on each one, and cut a couple of lemon peels, making sure there is no white pit on them, you can scrape the lemon peels with a butter knife to get rid of the white pit
- Grab a large heavy frying pan and add 1 bottle (750 ml) of red wine (I used a Rioja table wine), 1/2 a cup of white sugar, 1 cinnamon stick and 4 lemon peels, then lay the 4 pairs in the pan turn on the fire to a medium heat
- Every 5 minutes or so you want to flip the pairs that way they get evenly poached with the wine, after about 25-30 minutes stand the pairs up that way the bottom of the pears gets fully poached
- After a total of 30-35 minutes of cooking remove the pairs from the pan and transfer to a bowl, continue to cook the wine for another 3 minutes, then turn off the heat and let it sit for about 5 minutes
- To assenble each plate, add 1 poached pair to a shallow bowl and then drizzle with the red wine sauce and serve (you can serve these warm, at room temperature or even cold)
- If you need any of the above ingredients to make this recipe, you can purchase them through this Amazon Affiliate Link Shop for Ingredients and get them delivered right to your door!