– Hake with Clams and White Wine –
Spain is well-known for serving up some of the best seafood dishes anywhere, specially if they are coming from the northern region of the Basque country. This recipe for Hake with Clams and White Wine, known as Merluza a la Vasca in Spain, is probably the most popular seafood dish coming out of the Iberian peninsula. If you have never had hake before, it is a white fleshed fish that is mild in flavor and has a great texture, similar to that of cod or halibut. The addition of clams and white wine to this recipe, really give the fish a grand flavor, but don´t let all these fancy ingredients fool you, this recipe is super easy to make and it´s done in 20 minutes from start to finish!
The Secret to Perfectly Seared Hake
The secret to this recipe is to use fresh fish, don´t buy frozen fish and then thaw it out, the flavors will not come out correctly. The fish fillets I used in this recipe where about 1/2 inch thick, so I cooked them for 3 minutes per side. Depending on the thickness of your fish fillets, it can change the cooking time. To my taste, I have learned that if the fish is thinner, say a 1/4 inch, I cook it for 2 minutes per side, if it´s thicker than 1/2 inch, say 3/4 of an inch I go 4 minutes per side. Watch the video below on how to easily make this Hake with Clams and White Wine or check out the recipe card below, which you can print 🙂 . Salud!
Watch the Video Below on How to Make Hake with Clams and White Wine
- -2 tbsp extra virgin Spanish olive oil
- -2 cloves of garlic
- -1/2 onion
- -2 fresh hake fillets (can be substituted with Cod or Halibut)
- -1/2 cup white wine
- -12 fresh clams
- -1 lemon
- -Sea salt
- -Black Pepper
- -fresh parsley
- Finely mince 2 cloves of garlic, finely dice 1/2 of an onion, cut a couple of thin slices from a lemon and finely chop about a 1/4 cup of fresh parsley
- Season 2 fillets of hake (you can substitute for cod or halibut) with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper on both sides
- Heat a non-stick frying pan with a medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin Spanish olive oil, once the oil get´s hot add the garlic and the onions, mix with the oil and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the 2 hake fillets skin side up (if your fish is skinless no worries), after cooking the hake for 3 minutes flip to cook the other side, then add 1/2 cup of white wine, a couple of slices of lemon, 12 fresh clams and 1/2 of the parsley, give the pan a quick shake and cook for another 3 minutes, then remove the hake fillets from the pan and transfer each one to a plate
- Cook the clams for another 2-3 minutes or until they all open, then evenly transfer the clams into each plate, add a slice of cooked lemon on top of each fillet and top it all off with the remaining sauce in the pan
- Garnish the dish with the remaining parsley and serve
- If you need any of the above ingredients to make this recipe, you can purchase them through this Amazon Affiliate Link Shop for Ingredients and get them delivered right to your door!